* two 6 ½” x 10 ½” rectangles of a plain medium weight fabric;
* one 6 ½” x 8 ½” rectangle of a patterned feature fabric;
* one 9 ½” x 5” rectangle of wool felt;
* two 6 ½” strips of ribbon or trim for the exterior of the needle case:
* strip of ribbon or trim for the interior (optional); and
* a button (optional).
Centre and pin the patterned feature fabric right side up to the right side of one piece of the plain medium weight fabric (baste in place if desired).
Pin the two 6 ½” strips of ribbon or trim over the tops of the raw edges of the feature fabric and sew in place.
Place the piece you have created above right sides together with the remaining piece of the plain medium weight fabric and sew with a ¼” seam, leaving an opening of 2” on one of the sides.
Clip the corners and turn right sides out. Press. Sew or hand stitch over the side where the opening was left.
(If you are attaching some additional decorative trim to the wool felt, do so at this stage in the desired position.)
Lay the needle case flat with the inside of the case facing up and centre the piece of wool felt in the middle. Sew a line down the middle of the case through all thicknesses of fabric to attach the wool felt.
If using a decorative button, sew it on to the outside of the case to finish.